Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Remember it!

I find myself bound in appreciation of the legitimacy of Rodriguez's story. It is, without a doubt, an intimate portrayal of family life, personal emotions, and conflict within a person who has been given no opportunity to anticipate assimilation.

While I often find many emotional narrations of authors to be more or less contrived, hers do not seem to be so. Though I may disagree with certain sentiments concerning our acceptance of foreigners in Vancouver, I cannot argue with or against the immigrant experience within this context.

That being said, her use of metaphor in "Black Hole" is one I can only appreciate at an emotional level, not an artistic one. While the sentiment of blackness and morbidity may manifest itself in her, I find it a tad too generic to be one I might consider compelling on a literary level. I don't mean to sound arrogant, and I don't think that my view is compulsory, but the "black hole" concept is one I associate with a lack of objectivity and irrational negativity.

Of course, her story is still a personal one despite the more broad aspects of it. Descriptions of torture are powerful regardless of context, and I did feel a painful discomfort while reading them.

As in Alvarez's novel, the book straddles the line between autobiography and fiction, but obviously this book does not amount to a start-to-finish, or rather finish-to-start method. However, I take this book as a more literal approach to immigration and political exile than that of Alvarez's, in that it is more black and white and less personal. Alvarez combined politics and identity with a coming of age tale, while this is more of a fragmented telling of events within less plausible characters. It is, I find, less personal that How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, though probably more factual in content.

I've always thought that Vancouver was a place where art wasn't recognized, but Rodriguez gives me hope!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I agree, after reading Rodriguez
I definitely look back on the other immigrant authors we've read in a much less sympathetic light. Alvarez was one of the lucky ones. The girls in her stories definitely had their share of hard times, but when juxtaposed with Rodriguez's vivid stories of rape, torture and paranoia, the Garcia stories do seem a bit contrived.

I definitely also had issues with "Black Hole" (which is fairly obvious considering the highly critical blog I wrote after reading only this story). I too found the black hole metaphor really generic and lacking in literary merit. I think you said it well... it's a story that can be appreciated on an emotional level, but not an artistic one. I found immediately afterwards, however, I was drawn in by her combination of both emotional and artistic appeal which, for me, extended throghout the rest of the book.