Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Part 2 of Who would have thought it

Although not a "can't put it down novel" I began to adore the conniving bigots that are Hackwell, Hammerhard and Mrs. Norval after 120 pages, and actually began to dislike the perfect characters of Lola and Julian.  I say this because I feel that none of these open-minded and exceptional people are confronted with any sort of moral dilemma or question of honor, Ruiz de Barton constantly and sometimes not plausibly uses them to evoke sympathy from the reader.  While I felt it at the beginning, it began to run a tad dry after around 250 pages of them being screwed around by either the government or non-Catholic chivalrous ministers turned war heroes. 

That being said, however, Ruiz de Barton is certainly a writer of verbose style and eloquence, which some of the class interpreted as being tedious, when in fact she is a writer of talent not just in the context of someone whose second language is English but in general as well.  An example would be when discussing one of the more subversive characters, Mrs. Norval, on page 136:
"So let us be charitable with her---although she was never known to be so towards anyone---and learn not to pitch our voices so high as she did at the beginning of her song, for we may also find how to difficult to is to maintain such diapason."

I found myself questioning my own ignorance as I read her use of words such as "pusillaminity", "maelstrom" and "opprobrium" without any arrogance as I spent the majority of the book compiling a vocabulary list.  

I have to question my previous self for saying last week the book is not a feminist novel, when clearly the lack of women's rights and imposed weaknesses permeate much of the prose and internal soliloquies.  What surprises me is how Burton allows Hackwell's character to maintain such intellectual power over even the most cunning of female characters (Lola).  Although preying on her young age and naivety, I felt that his intentions should have been questioned more, as he is so conspicuously shrewd and deceitful from the beginning of the novel.  Even someone as manipulative as Mrs. Norval was blind to his narcissistic ways because of his charm, while we as the readers must sit back without feeling much suspense anticipating his next sneaky move.  

Ruiz de Burton, as much as she should be credited for her insight on the struggles of women in her time, does not seem to extend her sympathy towards blacks, as even Julian on page 241 says: "I should have my freedom.  If the negroes have it, why shouldn't I?"  It's a tad insensitive, considering the book's major theme is about prejudice.   Then again, it's dialogue, not narrative, and only so much can be inferred. 



3 comments:

AnnaC said...

At the beginning of the book i slowly made my way through but i agree that after 100 pages i found it hard to put down! Mrs.Norval and Mr.Hackwell were definitely the main characters that kept the story alive. Lola hardly developed since we met her in the beginning of the story and the ending left way too many loose ends.I do not think that this was a feminist novel as well because there was no 'push' for change.

Serena said...

I'm definitely with you on enjoying the conniving and hypocritical characters like Mrs. Norval and Mr. Hackwell more than the good-hearted but unidimentional ones like Lola and Mr. Norval. Although I did not enjoy Ruiz de Burton's verbose style as much as you did, I certainly appreciated her wit, which came out when she described the more roguish characters.
-Serena

Emily Hager said...

I think you make some good points. Like the others who have commented here, I too found the "bad guys" in the story to be way more interesting and complex. At a certain point the "good" ones got old due to their lack of depth. You always knew that the good ones would react in a certain way which was very predictable, however the bad ones surprised me in their actions. And yes, now that I think of it, she really does have an intense vocabulary, a lot to learn from.